Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Finally Read Watchmen

I have never been such a huge geek. If I was, I would have read Alan Moore's most celebrated graphic novel, Watchmen a long long time ago. As much as I'm a huge movie geek, I'm not a big comic book geek and some comic book and graphic novel series were introduced through film adaptations like Sin City and 300. Thus I heard a lot of claims and recommendation everywhere, calling a graphic novel called Watchmen, the greatest graphic novel to be ever made. With all the fuss that every nerds around the world talking about both the novel and the movie adaptation directed by Zack Synder, I finally decided to find the novel Watchman in any way possible. I downloaded the novel (illegally) off the Internet in top quality PDF form and I started reading it right away.



It was pretty good.

The novel totally met my expectation as a complex and deep read. The very interesting element of the novel is that it explored the main character's history as a crime-fighter and their progressive view upon the world and society. Each character sees the world in a different light whether its rotten, flawed or doomed and has their own approach to the dilemma if the world is too late from being saved. History plays an important part in the narrative of the plot as the story consist of flashbacks and world events influenced by the league of superheroes and crime-fighters. The 1950s portrays the glory years of superheroes as they are viewed more like a celebrity icon while superheroism and vigilantes are considered banned in the 1980s and shows the superhero mythology after their glory days. Each of the characters are shown in their position in society after their days as superheroes with Rorschach kind of taking the lead in the plot narrative as an outcast.



For those who haven't read Watchmen (and I recommend that you do), I'll give you a little synopsis of the novel. The novel is set in an alternate timeline in the 1980s where Richard Nixon is still president and "superheroes" existed. The Comedian, superhero-turned-military operative and former member of the Minutemen, was found murdered as he was thrown out of the window of his apartment and Rorschach, blot-face detective and another former member, becomes the only one obsessed in finding the murderer. He soon starts reuniting and even questioning the members of the Minutemen such as Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan and as he comes close in finding the suspect, he falls into a deadly and dangerous plot that could cost millions of innocent lives. It is not a simple "superhero reunion" story that leads the character into saving the day. The novel questions the status of human lives and history and whatever these characters are doing the right thing for mankind. These characters are trying to be more human than being superheroes and think for humanity than themselves.



To sum up my review, I was glad to finally read the novel and I see why many people love this so much. This is a very intelligent and complex story and study on human society. It is a mix of both fantastical and philosophical elements and it leaves you really pondering whether mankind have indeed improved or not. I have to say that Sin City is still my most favorite graphic novel. Its not that Watchmen is bad. Its not and its a damn good read. Its my preference. I love the whole world created by Frank Miller and the whole stylish and glorified violent film-noir and detective feel in the novel. I also love the characters in Sin City more than in Watchmen. They are just more memorable and badass for me. I mean, I still can't forget Marv, he is really is a badass! And say all you want about how Frank Miller thinks of women in his novels, but I love the women in Sin City. Powerful, forceful and beautiful. Plus the movie is still the best graphic novel adaptation around. Still Watchmen is damn good and I would even rank either second or third on best graphic novel list.



Probably the best thing I got from reading Watchmen is my newfound admiration and respect to Alan Moore. I now see Alan Moore as one of the most intelligent writers I know and have more respect than Frank Miller now. Hey I still love Frank Miller and I still think he's one cool cat, but his involvement in the movie adaptation of The Spirit is just..... eehh. Alan Moore has his own ideals in the comic book and the comic book industry and has a ugly history with Hollywood. I can see why he is pissed about Hollywood as they have taken three of his finest and well-praised works (From Hell, V for Vendetta and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and adapted them into mediocre and disastrous. V for Vendetta was actually good (in my opinion) and From Hell was ok, but League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen was just bad! Now his most prized and precious work ever is now treated for a movie adaptation, to be released next year. From the looks of it, I can say it looks alright, but I'm not sure. Only time will tell if its gonna be a good film.

No comments: