Friday, November 14, 2008

The EGames Expo (Kinda like E3, but a lot smaller)

Well after such excruciating, yet interesting time writing my 7000 word exegesis at the end of my semester, it was appropriate for me to now have fun. And what better way to satisfy my inner geek than to attend the E-Games Expo and play so many new video games non-stop.

People may be wondering what is E-Games. Australia doesn't get a lot of good stuff like America. I mean what do we get? Meat pies, footy and VBs? Those are shit! America has Hollywood, basketball, Disneyworld and E3! When you go to E3, you're there to get a taste for brand-new upcoming games from all three video games consoles. E3 is so freakin huge. You can say that E-Games is the Australian equivalent of E3, except its 3 times smaller, not a lot of new games and not so much fancy. But hey, its cheap!

Plus I had a chance to try out new games I've been wanting to try for a long time. And the main idea of attending the E-Games Expo is not to be a video game critic, but to have fun and de-stressed from my last semester of my Masters. So I'm gonna give my first impressions on the new and upcoming games I played at E-Games.

Little Big Planet
I LOVE this game! Its exactly what gaming is about. Near-limitless creativity, unique design, very fun humor and a very expansive world. You can possibly do and make anything in this game. It may look like a simple platformer game, but the wonderful character customization, engaging gameplay and universal multiplayer design makes this game a must-buy!


Resistance 2
I don't mind shooter games and this is one of the good shooter franchise around. The story is better and the bosses are big and huge, but its the same as Resistance 1.

Gears of War 2
Same goes for this. Just the same as Gears of War 1, the story progress further and brand new levels.

Prince of Persia
I'm so glad with the changes in the new series of Prince of Persia. I like the new acrobatic system, the more dream-like design and the epic story. One thing I find cheap is that you can't actually die and reset the level. Whenever you accidentally fall off the ledge or about to be stabbed by the enemy, Elika will be there to save you and the game will still continue, removing the whole competitive flow out of it.



Resident Evil 5 (BETA)
I played the demo and there are some quirks that needed to be fixed. For example, the enemy A.I is not too good as at times, the infected seem to be just doing nothing whenever you're close to them, making them not to intimidated. Other than that, the game looks pretty awesome.

Mirror's Edge (BETA)
Very dizzying and confusing at first, but once you get a hang of the controls and viewpoint, its a very different gaming experience.

Call of Duty: World at War
Disappointing as the last Call of Duty was the one of the best shooters I ever played and this game took a step backward literally. Not that its a bad game. Its still good, but not as great as Call of Duty 4.

Wii Music
...Gay!


There are plenty of other games I played over that either old or slightly new. That said, it was a two-day event for me and I really enjoyed it. Especially having an awesome time playing Little Big Planet!

The highlight of the expo...... Winning an awesome Little Big Planet T-Shirt! I never knew I could get an awesome T-Shirt with Sackboy on it! I was so completely awestruck by what happened!



Geez.. people were jealous of me :P

No comments: