Monday, September 8, 2008

My Top Ten: Most Awesome Cartoons of My Childhood

Everybody loves cartoons. Unless you grew up as a heartless twisted freak or live in a place where TV doesn't exist, you can't have a childhood without seeing a cartoon show. And being the child of the late 80s and early 90s, there were so many great cartoons that kept me glued right close to the TV. So if you ask me one day what would be my favorite cartoon show, I would actually bored you to death by giving you my top ten list of my favorite cartoons. To make it clear, I'm giving the list of the cartoons I have seen as a kid, not as an adult. So without further ado, here is MY top ten list of cartoons that influenced me, entertain me and were just freakin AWESOME.


10. CAPTAIN PLANET AND THE PLANETEERS



With the whole global warming and environmental issues coming along in this world, I really wish Captain Planet was real, so he could clean this mess up. The show was so fun and ass-kicking to watch, while also being educational about saving the environment. The Planeteers have such wicked elemental powers with the use of their magic rings, but I still don't get the Mexican guy's power of Heart. Thats pretty cheap. And when these Planeteers combine their powers, you really start cheering for the flying homo-colored protector of the environment, Captain Planet! And to fully satisfy your viewing of one episode, the theme song at the closing credit is very catchy to sing along!

Opening credit


And here's its catchy theme song!


9. SWAT CATS



These cats got attitude. Choosing between them and Biker Mice From Mars (I like them too), I have to go with the cats! I mean, these boys got a freakin fighter jet! After rocking on the opening credit with its jamming guitar riffs, you get to see these boys take on the challenge of aliens, evil wizards, mutant plant zombies and more! Calling themselves SWAT Cats, they have a huge arsenal of bad-ass weaponry in their fight to save Cat City! Hey that gives one good reason why I like cats more than dogs!



8. DARKWING DUCK



Going from cats to ducks. I love Disney's Saturday morning cartoons back it is all about the adventure like Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers and Tale Spin, not when Disney starts marketing on the likes of Hanna Montana. One Disney cartoon that is both fun in design and badass in nature is Darkwing Duck! This guy is Batman if he was a duck. Sure he can be a klutz in most of his adventures, but that doesn't stop him from being so dark. He has own badass intro monologue every time he introduce himself to a villain. And after that, he gets himself in a pratfall. And his theme song has got to be the best out of all the Disney cartoons!



7. EEK! THE CAT


This cat can't get a break. I mean all he wants was to be with his fatass cat girlfriend, but Sharky the Dog gives him a whole lot of trouble. EEK! walks into accident by accident and you can feel the pain. And I sound very horrible laughing at the pain of this cat getting hurt minute by minute. In addition to EEK!, you have the Terrible Thunderlizards, which you have dinosaurs with guns! And they have a mission to kill off two simple cavemen and yet they can't even get them!



6. ANIMANIACS



I don't know what kind of animals they are, but they suuuuurrrely are wacky! Using the hilarity and techniques used for Looney Tunes, Animaniacs has so many clever and funny moments that parodies movies and studio executive lives. And suuurrrelly they can annoy anyone on Earth, including Satan! And who could forget when you see that fine-looking nurse, you would really have to howl "HEEEELLLLLLLLOOO, NURSE!!" Included with Animaniac are Pinky and the Brain, which they are so funny they get their own show. Man why did Warner Bros. have to turn towards animes?



5. EARTHWORM JIM



Love the freakin video game and love the freakin cartoon! Love the character of Earthworm Jim, love his big red gun and love his rocket pack! Love Pete the Pup and his crazy transformation into this crazy monster! Love Psy-Crow, love Evil the Cat and love Queen Slug-for-a-Butt! Hell I even love its freakin theme song!



4. ADVENTURES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG



Man, before Sonic lost his ways in video games and his story was about crystals, emeralds, twin hedgehogs and other crap, this Sonic-based cartoon was just about one thing: Dr. Robotnik catching Sonic and Tails. It wasn't serious and dark as the next cartoons were trying to be, but just good old wacky fun. How funny it is to see Sonic, voiced by Urkel, ruining Dr. Robotnik's plans and after that, chilling out with a chilli dog! Man, I seriously had to get up at 6.00am in the freakin morning just to watch the opening credit!



3. ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE



Before Nickelodeon gave us Spongebob Squarepants, they have Ren and Stimpy. And in between, there was Rocko's Modern Life, probably my only favorite Nickelodeon cartoon ever! And its funny because its true! There's no funnier way to show life sucks than through the life of a wallaby, taking crap from his jerk neighbors, his jerk boss and probably everyone else. He can't get one good day whether he goes off to the fair, goes skiing or just going groceries. Along with Rocko, all of the characters are just so awesome life Heffer and Filburt! Oh and lets not forget the catchy theme song.



2. BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES



Damn, if Christopher Nolan got it right with The Dark Knight, then Bruce Timm got it right for this animated series. When I first saw it as a little kid, I never knew how dark the story of Batman was. Last time I saw animated Batman was in the 60s with the Super Friends, fighting while smiling. The writers of this show gave all the characters and villains real depths and motives into their beings, making the story flesh out and more dramatic than its usual Saturday morning fanfare. There was nothing about smiles and fun in this show, but the darkness and its ass kicking. And how epic is the opening credits!



And last but not least....

1. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES



Thats right! I'm a turtle-head! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rocked my childhood! They got to be the most radical, most coolest group of shellheads to ever grace with ninjas, skateboards and pizzas! Whenever I see a new TMNT toy on shelves, I would literally throw a tantrum to force my parents to buy that toy. And if it wasn't enough, I would dress up as a Ninja Turtle (dressed as Donatello, my favorite turtle) every Halloween! Dude, every time they sport out a catch phrase, I wouldn't miss out in shouting them out, including "Cowabunga!!" and "Turtle Power!!". And hell, it was a momentous moment when I get to see the live-action movies! While the third movie was not that great and the CGI was ok, the first two were the sh*ts! The new TMNT is ok to watch and I do like how they add the element of Anime into it, but it can't never as awesome as the original! And one thing alone that makes this show ever more awesome, it has the most freakin grand epic awesome theme song ever!!!




That is my top ten list! What are your favorites?

No comments: