Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Thoughts on The Spider-Man Reboot



Its pretty much old news by now that the Spider-Man movie franchise is certainly getting a reboot with a new director and a new cast to boot. This news actually has some meaning to me because, no matter how lame the comics are getting and how mediocre the last movie was and how much I love Batman so much, Spider-Man is still my favorite superhero. Like I know I'm not a giant Spider-Man Know-It-All unlike some hardcore nerds out there, but possibly he's the one superhero I actually can identify with. So I'll probably give you my thoughts on it.

To me, it is just a bad idea. Not a completely dreadful idea, but one that seems unnecessary for now. I love the Spider-Man movies. The first one was very well-done, the second was f*ckin brilliant and the third one wasn't horrible, but disappointing. Making a reboot that soon is just seem unneeded especially when we still have Sam Raimi's fresh in our mind. It would take an estimate gap of 7 -10 years to wear the previous movies out.

How the studio wanting to have a reboot is just kind of insulting to Raimi. The reason being is that Raimi and the studio have such a disagreement over the next Spider-Man movie, despite Raimi bringing over a huge amount of money while it being critically praised. And so Raimi decided to quit. That said, the studio decided to flip the bird on Raimi by disregarding his series and making their own in their own way. I don't know thats really their intention, but to me thats really disrespectful. Especially for a director who really brought in alot of dough.

Now I know that upcoming director, Mark Webb (500 Days of Summer) have taken the helm of the new Spider-Man series and I really like the guy. Especially that 500 Days of Summer is one of my favorite movies now. Yet I wish he could do more original and smaller works before he take on a giant blockbuster movie. I mean going from something as small as 500 Days of Summer to something as BIG as Spider-man is a pretty damn HUGE and risky leap. But hey, how could you say "no" to an offer like that? So I'm glad for Mark Webb. Just hope he doesn't f*ck it up.

So anyway thats my thoughts on it. What are yours?

No comments: