Saturday, October 10, 2009

Trailer Reaction - Toy Story 3



I was 9 years old when I first saw Toy Story. I was 13 when I saw Toy Story 2. I'll be 23 by the time I get to see Toy Story 3. The fact that the Toy Story universe shares the same time-line as ours, that Andy grew up the same as us makes this franchise even more special. This is the series that started a revolution of animated films as Toy Story was the first ever computer-generated animated film and put Pixar on the map of the film industry. And after 10 years of Pixar's even more sophisticated and maturing creations from The Incredibles to Wall-E, it would be about time to check on what the toys are up to. I may have grown up, but its never too old to check on Woody and Buzz.

The trailer begins with a nostalgic taste ala watching an old VHS tape of little Andy delightfully playing with his toys. Pixar is well-known to strike up emotions as a beautiful song by Randy Newman plays over the montage of Andy playing while growing up. The hard impact is when it shows Andy now in his 20s and is getting ready for college. And man, how he's grown up. Woody and Buzz had stated that they'll be ready when Andy reaches that time and now that time is closing by. Personally I would just bring the toys to college along, but what will Andy do to this favorite toys... well we find out he dumps them at the local pre-school and that dynamic has shifted when the little tots starts torturing the toys. Kinda like Sid in the first movie. The toys won't stand for such treatment and so they plan to break out. And thats all we know from this point. This is probably the first theatrical trailer and will be learning more about the story from the next clips and trailers. It ends with Buzz gets damaged and was reset into spanish mode. This part was worrying for me as it may retain the same subplot from the earlier two movies where Buzz thinks he's an actual space ranger. Hopefully that gag will be short.

Of course I'm gonna see this, just based on two simple factors. One - its Pixar and you should be trusting Pixar long ago. Has Pixar ever fail on you before (and Cars wasn't that bad)? Two - its Toy Story. I always choose this franchise over Shrek's. Shrek may have laughs, but Toy Story has heart. And it doesn't feel like an overused cash cow. I'll be like an 9 year old kid when I get to see this latest installment.

Watch the trailer below

No comments: