Thursday, June 25, 2009

My King Of Pop: Michael Jackson 1958 - 2009

It is something I would eventually face in my lifetime, but I wouldn't think it would be that soon. There are three music artists that were the very first musicians I ever love and were the introduction to contemporary music when I was as young as three: The Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson. And I know the amount of exposure I had from these musicians. I was a little bit exposed to the Beatles, was moderately to Frankie S, but with Michael Jackson... I was fully exposed to all of his music, dances and videos. Michael Jackson was the very first favorite music artist in my life. Whenever Michael Jackson was on radio, I would listen and dance and invent many silly things in that time. He was the energy. He was the moves. He was the sound. He was my first influence to pop culture. He was the first pieces that shape my identity and personality in years to come.

It really amazes a lot of people that Michael Jackson just got famous at a very young age, just being the front-man of the Jackson 5 band. Blessed with an outstanding voices and the energy of 3 professional dancers, young Michael was already thrown into the limelight and he never stopped getting bigger. He has reached up to the point where he is labeled as the biggest megastar to ever walked on the face of this planet. He became what every child dreams of ever becoming...

... except he never was a child before...

It is tragic indeed that he became what everyone rarely touch, yet never experience a very special part of life everyone else go through. It is really a give and take. After being labeled as the biggest megastar, he also became the butt of so many jokes with the many trials of plastic surgery, bizarre lifestyles and the accusations of child molestations. During that time, I was in high school and listening to Michael Jackson was kind of a taboo. While I was drifting off and trying some new music, his music stayed with me throughout my life and I have never abandoned it. Even if a tiny part of his music was there. If somebody ask me if I think Michael really was a child abuser, I would say I don't believe it. I sure disapproved his ever-changing face with plastic surgery, making him look like a freak every time I take a look at him. But I never believe him as a child abuser and it is a big mystery. But a grown man who can't relate to a child and is as timid as a butterfly would never do that to a child. And I have so many things about it that EVERY fault goes to his father, Joe Jackson. As much as he is partly responsible for Michael's fame, his abuse to him made a huge damage on Michael's mentality and emotions.

I really remembered how I came about the news and it was one of the most surreal moments I had in my life. I remember waking up very late in the afternoon and it was a message from my girlfriend, plain and simple, "Michael Jackson is Dead". I was in total shock and I needed confirmation of his death and sure enough, he was actually gone. At the age of 50, it is still very young to go. It was something I knew I would face in my lifetime, but not this soon. My very first icon, gone before my eyes. It was a sad day for me as well for millions of people around the world. No doubt he is immortal as he will be living forever in our hearts through his dances and music.

So Michael Jackson.... Thank You... and God Bless You...

The King of Pop



I present you two things of Michael Jackson:

One of my most favorite and most important Michael Jackson's songs


And my most favorite Michael Jackson music video

No comments: