Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rabbit of Seville

Kids grew up with Looney Tunes. There's no denying it that anyone has seen any fragmentation of Looney Tunes at any part of their lives. Aside from Mickey Mouse cartoons, Looney Tunes were a daily part of my childhood and have seen every antics of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Sylvester the Cat, Tweety, Porky Pig, you name it. And if anyone would ask me "What is my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon? What is the most memorable?", I would have to answer "Rabbit of Seville".




Another Chuck Jones cartoon, this one was so much fun to watch and there are so many memorable and clever cartoon gags to have yourself a good time. This is a Chuck Jones cartoon where Bugs and Elmer are just at each other, set to Overture of Barber of Seville. The first part gets the pace moving, but its the second part everything gets to shine. Since I have studied about silent films for my Masters, I became so fascinated by the antics of Chaplin and Keaton and this brings forth my love of silent comedy, everything in time with the tune.



Most would have considered "Whats Opera Doc?" as Chuck's best out of his Bug Bunny cartoon and I would have to agree. The grand scale of color and mood of "What's Opera Doc?" was very epic of that time. I just prefer Overture from the opera Barber of Seville than the songs from Wagner. When it comes to comedy with music, I'm all about synchronization. When a director gets the timing of the comedy right down to the T, I automatically praise him/her as a great director. That is a mark of an amazing director. And hey, thats why everyone knows about Chuck Jones.

Check it out!

No comments: