Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Look Back on the Films of Batman: BATMAN BEGINS(2005)

With the new Batman movie: The Dark Knight coming out soon, its time for me to look back on the past Batman movies starting from the campy years of 1966 to the modern era in 2005. As close as it is, Batman is my second favorite superhero with just being close to Spider-Man. Batman has been through many changes and transformations in the film media for the best and for the worst. So without further ado, here is my view on the last Batman movies, leading up to The Dark Knight.


BATMAN BEGINS(2005)


After the embarrassment that was Batman and Robin, plans for the next Batman movie took a complete halt and by then, I completely lost faith in Batman. The audience became witness towards a new rise of comic book movies, which were the Marvel superhero films. Between 2000 and 2004, my favorite superhero of them all, Spider-man finally came on the big screen which its two movies were awesome. X-men and Spider-man led the way to other Marvel movies which some were hits and most of them were misses. Then out of the blue, a new Batman movie was announced, which was now in the hands of filmmaker, Christopher Nolan who was at that time known for psychological thrillers such as Memento and Insomnia. My reaction to this was not of praise, but of doubt. As great Nolan was with Memento, flashbacks of previous Batman movies informed me of the impossibility to make a unique Batman movie as all of those movies runs in the same bland formula. We then heard that it wasn't gonna continue the original line, nor it was gonna be a prequel to it, but a complete rehash of the franchise. From there, we heard more that it was gonna tell the origins of Batman, there is no more Robin and had a glimpse of the "supposed" Batmobile. Still I wasn't convinced enough and was willing to pass it in theaters. It took a lot of convincing to finally see it and to my surprise, it was the most refreshing and (finally) most realistic Batman movie ever to be put on screen.

The entire character roster of Batman is completely recast and they were all given something to partake in this film. At first I was kind of skeptic for the casting of Christian Bale of the new Bruce Wayne/Batman, who I just know him from American Psycho and Equilibrium. He already has the look of the young billionaire playboy, but more importantly was he gonna be a good Batman? My fear laid to rest as Christian Bale gave a more serious, yet vulnerable Batman as he is just starting out in fighting crime. Michael Caine became a more lively Alfred and the character James Gordon was rightfully played by Gary Oldman who finally is something more than a stand-in police chief. We were introduced to a new love interest to Bruce Wayne, which is Rachel Dawnes played by Katie Holmes. The two villains in this movie are Ra's Al Ghul and The Scarecrow, who both played brilliantly by Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy. What is so interesting about this movie is Bruce's driving force and philosophy that inevitably transforms and curse him into become the Dark Knight he is. It is not anymore about death of Bruce's parents that motivates him into become Batman, the story looks into every angle and different locales that we get to learn of Bruce himself. And I love how Batman is now showed the badass motherf**ker that he should be. Burton's Batman was calm, smooth and looks like he won't be phased if he gets touched. Schumacher's Batman already looks like a pansy and doesn't command respect. This Batman (Nolan's) however is the Batman you don't f**k with! You give a slightest touch on him and he will beat the sh*t out of you and make you fully regret. You don't f**k with this Batman! And if you can't get enough of his badness masculinity, look at his Batmobile! His Batmobile is a f**kin tank! While I love the Batmobile of the Burton movie, the Tumbler is a freakin monster, every car on the road will sh*t themselves by the sight of this thing. If there is one problem I can point out, which is totally minor, its the climax between Batman and the main villain. Batman is already proven his badassness that there was clearly no match between them. The movie already serves as Bruce Wayne's rise to Batman and we haven't yet gotten up to where Batman finally take on a real challenge.

I have to be honest. It haven't really restore my complete love for the Batman (because I was busy loving Spider-man), but it restore my complete faith in the movies. Chris Nolan did the unthinkable where most fans would even doubt would happen and resurrected Batman back from the dead. I really love the movie and it would be no problem to see it again. And it was a guarantee that there will be a sequel to this, introducing The Dark Knight. As I said before, it didn't restore my complete love, but as soon I watched the Dark Knight trailer, I love Batman all over again! The trailer just blew me away and you can feel the scent of epic running into this movie! And the Joker... from the moment I heard him speak, I was completely f**kin sold! And I'm so excited for the Joker so much, that it makes me so sad that Heath Ledger is not around to be thanked by me. Ledger left this world as a legend and his Joker will live on.

Thanks for reading my journal on my views of every Batman movies and tomorrow... I'm gonna see the Dark Knight! Its gonna be the biggest event of the year and can't wait to be part of it!

No comments: