Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mini Reviews - Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia!

The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.

Just so you know, I hate ABBA. ABBA is, from what I think, the definition of today's pop music: boring, bubbly, repetitive and totally irritating. Old people have been playing ABBA all over the place, its inescapable. So when I decided to rent Mamma Mia, I knew it was going to be a mental suicide.

And god, this movie adaptation of a Broadway musical just further proven my point why I hate ABBA so much. Its boring, horrendous and clearly not for me or the male demographic.

But hey, I love musicals! In fact I grew up with musicals, watching timeless classics from Singin' in the Rain to Oliver! to even the Producers. So when I look forward to a musical, I look forward to great songs, good singing, good choreography and maybe even a good story. Mamma Mia: The Movie is not a musical, but a watered-down karaoke session. I don't know why the director didn't insist of getting actors with good singing ability, but the strength of a good movie musical come from good singing as well as something electrifying and beautiful. Otherwise I would just go to a karaoke bar and I'll get the same experience I had for this movie. I felt I just wasted an hour and forty minutes, listening to sub par singing and girlish squealings. Streep is still the marvelous actress she always been, but she's no singer. Seyfried's acting range is always stuck on hysterical throughout the movie and was hysterical while singing. Pierce "007" Brosnan........ he can't sing! God, he really stunk. There is no character I actually liked and I probably liked ONE song in the movie. I won't tell you, but its not one of the most recognizable like "Mamma Mia" or "Dancing Queen". The dance choreography is nothing special and just plain silly. Again, it just looks something I see at a karaoke bar. And if its like that, why bother making it into a big budget movie?

For those who are ABBA fans, go knock yourself out with this. Those who clearly hate ABBA like me, stay clear of this film or you might regret it. I'm regretting it now.

2 out of 5 stars

No comments: