Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Top Ten by MaxJayJay: Most Favorite Hayao Miyazaki Works



Its that time of the month where I give my Top Ten on ANYTHING!





This month's theme of the month is one of the biggest highlights for Comic Con 09 is the new film by one of the greatest animators in history - Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

If there is a huge inspiration for animating and storytelling, its Hayao Miyazaki. And man, I watched his films even before I learned the term "anime". The fact is that his films are not "anime", Miyazaki stated that. They are traditionally animated in the way Disney would have animated since the golden years and the fact they came from Japan. So no wonder he has been labeled as the "The Walt Disney of Japan".



With the legendary composer Joe Hisaishi at his side, Hayao Miyazaki have made some of the most beautiful and powerful animated films to ever screen in theaters. His movies are proof of the power of 2d animations, something that 3D animations could not replicate. So I present to you the Top Ten of my most favorite Hayao Miyazaki works.

Lets get on it shall we?


10.
"ON YOUR MARK" MUSIC VIDEO



Even though it is a music video, there is such a great narrative to the story. And again wonderful animation by Miyazaki.



9.
PORCO ROSSO



I don't think there is nothing else that makes the term "when pig can fly" come to reality other than this film. Its a fighter pilot that transformed into a pig man and fights sky pirates. Weird concept eh? I hope it didn't involved that swine flu...



8.
LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY



This is just a wonderful and ultimately satisfying adventure movie. Lots of interesting and lovely characters, many exciting action moments and a nice building mystery around the subject.



7.
HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE



Probably after Spirited Away, I think the pressure was on for Hayao Miyazaki to top it with this film. There are intentions that Miyazaki wanted to make a good animated film in his own way, not having the idea of surpassing Spirited Away. It is still a very charming movie with many magical moments. And hell, this Miyazaki film has f*ckin Batman in it!




6.
NAUSICAA - VALLEY OF THE WINDS



Most of Miyazaki's films have the same theme which is the protection and preservation of the environment. While it has that theme, this is probably one of his most bizarre creations he has done. Hell this could probably be a better version of "The Happening" if it was a war between the humans and the environment. The settings and the designs of the creatures are just weird and yet beautiful.



5.
PRINCESS MONONOKE



There isn't any other Miyazaki movie that the maturity level just increases than this film. Sure there are mature contents and themes in his other films, but this one takes the cake with violence, destruction, death and even sexual content. The one that may be not recommended to kids. Not only they'll get scare of it, but they won't understand it entirely. But no doubt, this is a pretty epic animated movie.



4.
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO



This is probably the CUTEST movie I have ever seen. It is such a kiddies movie, yet audiences of every age even adults like me just love this movie. I mean seriously how could you not love the giant furry forest guardian, Totoro? However underneath those cute, kiddie and heartwarming moments even without an antagonist or a physical threat, there are some heavy issues and themes placed in there with subtlety such as the theme of death and the importance of environment. I would consider this as the ULTIMATE family movie.


3.
SPIRITED AWAY



This is viewed by the majority as Hayao Miyazaki's greatest masterpiece. And I would agree to it. The animation, music and storytelling was just top notch and the film touches on nearly all of emotions out there, fear, sadness, happiness and warmth. Probably the best thing about this film is the subtlety for this is Miyazaki's greatest strength. As most animated films tend to be loud, there are moments in Miyazaki's films especially this one where it allows to explore and immerse in its world. Long and beautiful moments like the train ride scene, its just so magical.



2.
KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE



The reason why this is my most favorite than Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke because of personal reasons. I watched this while I was still in high school and what she went through is nearly the same as in what I went through. I'm a sucker for movies about growing up. There is nothing I love more to see a character going through phases in life just like me and everyone else. And you know why I love Harry Potter. The character Kiki can be seen as a mature person going out into the real world and to live on her own like adults or as a teenage who is still in training and learning about responsibility, friendship, confidence and relationships. That is practically why I loved this film so much.



1.
THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO



This is really the first Hayao Miyazaki film I have ever seen. And even when I first watched this, I didn't knew Miyazaki had any part of this film as well as not knowing anything about Lupin III. What I saw the first time was a grand marvelous adventure of a jewel thief who rescues a princess from an evil count. It was epic and awesome! And I keep this movie very close to my heart. Unlike Hayao's current films, this film isn't thoughtful and slow pacing, but a barrage of fast paced action, humor, espionage and complete fun. And unlike most of Lupin III's films where they're loaded with sexual content, this film kept its kidde-friendliness and has many endearing moments. The story is simple enough, yet there are so much into this fun animated film: well-developed characters, wonderful settings, well-done action sequences, danger, peril, etc. Everything enjoyable from the beginning to end and it hasn't aged at all. It was awesome when I watched as a kid and it is still awesome to watch as an adult.



So thats my Top 10. What's your opinion?

No comments: